Loading Events

« All Events

  • This event has passed.

South Coast: SC Group AGM

27th October 2018

WELCOME
The Chairman, Doug Pattison, opened the meeting and welcomed 59 members from the South Coast Group.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
27 apologies had been received. A list was displayed at the meeting.

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS AGM
The minutes of the AGM held on 4th November 2017 at the Royal Lymington Yacht Club had been previously circulated to members by email.  It was proposed by Judith Symonds and seconded by Anne Langford that they be accepted. They were signed by the Chairman.

MATTERS ARISING
None

CHAIRMAN’S PRESENTATION AND REPORT
The Chairman gave his report along with a PowerPoint presentation outlining the 23 south coast events of 2018. He thanked all the Committee who have helped to arrange a most successful year, plus those not on the committee including George Pickburn, and Jeremy Smallwood.
Future events are already being planned including a Christmas lunch, a series of courses, a winter walk, Westerly-on-wheels, a fitting out supper, a visit to Southwick House, a visit to Selden Masts, a Centaur Rally and the Association AGM in Glasgow.  Details of all these will be on the website.

TREASURER’S REPORT
The Treasurer, Ann Rand, gave her financial report for the year ended 30th September 2018.  Event income for the year was £7684, expenses were £7453, with a surplus of £230. The Treasurer explained the reason for the £250 donation – this was given to Barts Bash to help repair hurricane damage in the Caribbean in lieu of a fee for last year’s AGM speaker. Including other expenses, the overall deficit was £151. Funds held at end of year are £3338.14.
The Treasurer reported that payments by BACS are working well, but asked that members remember to put the correct reference on their payments. She confirmed that all correspondence is done electronically and therefore printing and mail costs are zero.
The accounts having been duly audited and signed by David Beattie were accepted. Proposed by Martyn Langford and seconded by George Pickburn. Carried unanimously. The Treasurer thanked our auditor, David Beattie.

ELECTION OF COMMITTEE MEMBERS
The Chairman gave details of members retiring, members standing for re-election and new members as follows:
Members retiring:
David and Gill Clare and Doug and Gail Pattison
Members seeking re-election to the Committee
Doreen Beattie
Paul Hanson & Kate Weavers
Nicky Horstmann
Dick & Jane Leedham
Mike Neal
Ann Rand
Jan Smallwood
David Symonds
3 members have been nominated to join the Committee:
Rene Chinnery
Hillary Corney
Paul Waddington
David Beattie has agreed to serve as Auditor for next year.
All of the above members were unanimously elected ‘en bloc’.

ANY OTHER BUSINESS
Westerly on Wheels
Following a complaint from a South West WOA member, there was a long discussion on whether South Coast members were in favour of these events. One suggestion was made that members could opt out of receiving emails about WOW events.  The meeting voted unanimously in favour of WOW and it was noted that holding events ‘on wheels’ was positively supported in the Constitution.  Gill Clare agreed to report the feeling of the meeting to The Association.
Westerly Racing Handicaps
There was a discussion on whether WOA should adopt a ‘golf club’ system of racing handicaps, where boats are given debits or credits depending on their results, to avoid the same boat winning every race.  This was explained by Richard Truscott, who said it is used at the Royal Lymington Yacht Club and works well with RYA software.
The majority of members voted in favour of trying this system and Gill Clare agreed to report this to The Association.

PRESENTATION OF TROPHIES
Trophies were presented to the race winners:
Arun Trophy (Poole Passage Race)                  Unity Richard Truscott
Jacres Bell (Solent Race) Line Honours           Moonstorm Alan Rand
Westerly Shield (Solent Race) Handicap          Unity Richard Truscott
Comfort Afloat (Ladies Challenge)                    Elsie (T/T Flycatcher) Gail Pattison
Nab Tower Race (Nab Trophy)                         Unity Richard Truscott
Quay Lane Boatyard Trophy                             Not sailed

OPEN FORUM
Martyn Langford gave a vote of thanks to Doug and Gail Pattison for their work as Chairman and Secretary.
Hillary Corney explained his plan for a rally to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Centaur class. This is to be held on 6/7th July in Bembridge.  He has 27 entries to date and will be advertising widely.  Sue Redgrove offered to promote this on the East Coast.

TALK BY SUE AND BILL REDGROVE
Following a buffet lunch, Sue and Bill Redgrove gave a fascinating talk on the first half of their 9 year round-the-world trip in their Westerly Sealord 39 Camomile, followed by numerous interesting questions.
They offered to return again next year for the second half of their trip.

PHOTO COMPETITION
The photo competition was organised by Alan Rand.  Winner – Rene Chinnery, 2nd Alan Rand, 3rd Jill Pickburn.
Alan Rand thanked Doug Pattison for his work as Chairman.

BOAT JUMBLE
A boat Jumble was organised by Mike Neal.

Details

Date:
27th October 2018
Event Category:

Organiser

Doug Pattison
Email:
pattison@westerly-owners.co.uk

Venue

Royal Lymington Yacht Club
Bath Rd
Lymington, SO41 United Kingdom
+ Google Map